Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Descendants


I cried. That never happens. Never. You could have killed Bambi's entire family and I'd have just told you that was sad, but this movie made me cry. Not a whole lot, but with some effort a tear managed to make its way out of my right eye during one scene in particular, and that's saying a lot.

This is one of those movies I wish I'd written. It's about a family fallen on some hard times - death, teen angst, infidelity - and their journey up and through it. I can't say that everyone would relate to every thing, but but everyone has felt, at sometime, like these characters must feel ... and so, I cried. But, I also laughed! Which is also fairly hard to do. I guess I should have said that in the beginning.

Guys, this movie made me emote.

It's also set in Hawaii. I think that's important because, I don't know ... sometimes it seems like everyone in Hawaii is happy, and, well, I guess they aren't. Hawaiians are real people.

Another thing I really liked is the 10 year old daughter. She's awkward and a little chubby and I was too, at 10. Like you wouldn't believe.

Wow, I'm really trying here ...

Okay, okay. Here's what I think about this movie. I think this movie is awesome. I enjoyed it. I felt something, and my husband always tells me a good movie is not an escapist film, but a film that invokes your emotions, and mine were totally invoked. You'll like this if you like honest movies about families that make it out alive, campiness excluded.

And here's what Austin said about it on Facebook:

"Honestly, the last half of this film is very effective. The first half is a classic Payne "dramedy," but the last half is the best work of his career, in my opinion (although I haven't seen Citizen Ruth or About Schmidt). I am surprised this once best picture at the Golden Globes, but I'm glad a great film won nonetheless."

I say, go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment